RetroRoleplaying: The Blog
Software Gadgets
The Terran Empire

Site Search
Google
Entire Web
The Cauldron

Staff

Buying books & other products via our links to Amazon.com or via the links to other fine stores in our Shopping Mall helps support this site.

Member - Pagan Forum Alliance
Charter Member

Get Firefox! While this web site is designed to work in all major browsers, we recommend Firefox.

Site copyright
© 1998-2008
by Randall
Home > Community > Forum Home Search

The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum Backup
March 28, 2024, 01:28:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The main board is UP FOR TESTING at http://ecauldron.com/forum/.

Home Help Search Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Starbucks to Close 600 stores, Eliminate 12000 Jobs

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starbucks to Close 600 stores, Eliminate 12000 Jobs  (Read 2281 times)
rose
Apprentice
Religion: goofball

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 10:49:29 am »

I don't know about where rose lives, but around here, it's Free-Trade organic coffees from indie, locally owned coffee-houses.

and yes there are *zillions of these. Just about one per neighborhood, I'd say.
Report Spam   Logged

"a witch should always be a lady, except when circumstances dictate otherwise"
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Apprentice
Religion: Hellenic Pagan

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 11:21:35 am »

Especially considering that what most people around here think of as a "coffee shop" is going to McDonalds.  Cheesy

I wouldn't joke too hard about that.  My brother (who is somewhere in the "management" area of the hierarchy at a local McD's) says that they're going to be putting in full coffee bars at some McDonald's locations (his included, hence the info).  Which I think is a little ridiculous, and somewhat amusing in the case of the south location in our town that is right next door to a Starbuck's, but they didn't ask my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

Star

"Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken."
--Oscar Wilde
thain
Apprentice
Religion: Eclectic Paganism/Buddhism

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 11:30:04 am »

My brother (who is somewhere in the "management" area of the hierarchy at a local McD's) says that they're going to be putting in full coffee bars at some McDonald's locations (his included, hence the info). 

Wow.  I have to chuckle every time I see McDonald's trying to roll out a "classy" menu item (or store revision), simply because they're best known for their quick, cheap food (that tastes like cardboard).  Every time I get up the nerve to try one of these "classy" items, I'm invariably disappointed, too.  Amazon sent me a coupon for a free southern-style chicken sandwich (basically, a Chik-Fil-A style breading on the chicken), and it tasted just like a Chik-Fil-A sandwich........if you marinated the chicken breast in pickle juice overnight.  Shocked   That could just be my local Mickey-D's, though.
Report Spam   Logged
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Apprentice
Religion: Hellenic Pagan

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 11:33:19 am »

Amazon sent me a coupon for a free southern-style chicken sandwich (basically, a Chik-Fil-A style breading on the chicken), and it tasted just like a Chik-Fil-A sandwich........if you marinated the chicken breast in pickle juice overnight.  Shocked   That could just be my local Mickey-D's, though.

Yeah, I think that might be a "mileage may vary" situation.  I tried that thing too and, while it certainly wasn't anything special and I wouldn't bother ordering it again, it didn't taste like it had been marinating in pickle juice.

...Well, no, I guess I tried the breakfast biscuit version.  So that might make a difference, I don't know.  Same innards, though, just different bread around it.
Report Spam   Logged

Star

"Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken."
--Oscar Wilde
FierFlye
Apprentice
Religion: FlameKeeping

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 01:09:18 pm »

Amazon sent me a coupon for a free southern-style chicken sandwich

I had that and it was just their normal chicken sandwich with pickles added.
Report Spam   Logged
FierFlye
Apprentice
Religion: FlameKeeping

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 01:11:09 pm »

My brother says that they're going to be putting in full coffee bars at some McDonald's locations

Funny thing is, McD's coffee used to be good before they changed it to the 'gormuet' crap they have now.
Report Spam   Logged
dragonfly_high
Religion: ADF

View Profile
Combination Level 3 Level 2
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 02:01:03 pm »

Yeah, I think that might be a "mileage may vary" situation.  I tried that thing too and, while it certainly wasn't anything special and I wouldn't bother ordering it again, it didn't taste like it had been marinating in pickle juice.

...Well, no, I guess I tried the breakfast biscuit version.  So that might make a difference, I don't know.  Same innards, though, just different bread around it.

I don't like the biscuit or the other chicken sandwich. Too dry. Even with pickles on it very dry.  Now the 'fancy' ones aren't too bad, but without the tomatoes they aren't as good either.  I miss tomatoes.  And let me tell you, Taco Bell food is yucky, but even worse without tomatoes.
Report Spam   Logged
dragonfly_high
Religion: ADF

View Profile
Combination Level 3 Level 2
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 02:02:35 pm »

My brother (who is somewhere in the "management" area of the hierarchy at a local McD's) says that they're going to be putting in full coffee bars at some McDonald's locations (his included, hence the info). 

They already did here in my town.  Nasty stuff. I tried it, dang! Made my grandma's coffee taste mild! (you could stand a spoon in her coffee!)
Report Spam   Logged
Juniper
Apprentice
Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 02:56:43 pm »

I wouldn't joke too hard about that.  My brother (who is somewhere in the "management" area of the hierarchy at a local McD's) says that they're going to be putting in full coffee bars at some McDonald's locations (his included, hence the info).  Which I think is a little ridiculous, and somewhat amusing in the case of the south location in our town that is right next door to a Starbuck's, but they didn't ask my opinion.

In Germany and France (and maybe the rest of mainland Europe aswell, I'm not sure), they have the McCafe. Sometimes inside a McDonalds and sometimes just by itself. It is very much like Starbucks with the coffee and cakes, although it's cheaper. And if I'm being completely honest- I found it just as good as Starbucks. It reminds me of Costa Coffee, which is a big chain of coffeeshops in the UK.
Report Spam   Logged
mandrina
Apprentice
Religion: reclaiming practice

View Profile
Apple User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 07:56:24 pm »

They already did here in my town.  Nasty stuff. I tried it, dang! Made my grandma's coffee taste mild! (you could stand a spoon in her coffee!)

Brings back memories, along time ago, my dad and a friend fixed up his ham radio room for a picture of them during a contest.  His friend save dup sigarrette butts for a couple months, there was a pot with a roll of toilet paper, and two cups of coffee (clay stuck in the bottom of the cup) with the spoons sticking strainght up.
Report Spam   Logged
nikkiwitch
Religion: Pagan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 09:32:42 pm »

Friends don't let friends go to Starbucks, as we say hereabouts, in Coffee Land. However, I have found that when I am in a place where there is no good coffee (ie, visiting my ILs in Lubbock, TX) getting a large americano is a good facsimile for a real cuppa.

I have never had the pleasure of having a starbucks coffee, oh my.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Top | Home | Message Board | Site Info & Rules | Report Site Problems
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum