RetroRoleplaying: The Blog
Software Gadgets
The Terran Empire

Site Search
Google
Entire Web
The Cauldron

Staff

Buying books & other products via our links to Amazon.com or via the links to other fine stores in our Shopping Mall helps support this site.

Member - Pagan Forum Alliance
Charter Member

Get Firefox! While this web site is designed to work in all major browsers, we recommend Firefox.

Site copyright
© 1998-2008
by Randall
Home > Community > Forum Home Search

The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum Backup
March 28, 2024, 05:40:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The main board is UP FOR TESTING at http://ecauldron.com/forum/.

Home Help Search Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Annoying Computer Habits You Can't Live Without

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying Computer Habits You Can't Live Without  (Read 1732 times)
Koimichra
Senior Staff
Religion: Catholic

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 11:49:29 am »

So this is a completely random topic, but does anyone have a computing habit (or program/plugin) they can't live without, but that everyone else seems to think is more annoying than a ten-hour loop of the Hamster Dance?  I need a few more Tongue

My husband sets Firefox to autofill forms, which I absolutely LOATHE (and it means when I'm entering grades, which we do online, and I type "9" it gives me an option of "90" "91" "92" ... ). He also lets it remember passwords, which I hate. Now that we're sharing a Firefox, I may have to kill him. (Actually, I think I may have to use profiles.)

The other one that's irritating is that I have Firefox ask me for EVERY cookie, which means when I load a cookie-heavy page, I get a dozen popups asking about cookies. Totally annoying. Over time this thins out as your cookie allow/block list gets long, but my husband just clicks "block block block" without looking at the cookie, and routinely locks himself out of his webmail (or me out of mine), etc., so then instead of hunting down the offending blocked cookie, he just PURGES THE WHOLE LIST, so I have to start over with dozens of constant pop-ups.

-Koi Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Journeyman
Religion: Hellenic Pagan

View Profile
Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 12:03:15 pm »

The other one that's irritating is that I have Firefox ask me for EVERY cookie, which means when I load a cookie-heavy page, I get a dozen popups asking about cookies. Totally annoying. Over time this thins out as your cookie allow/block list gets long, but my husband just clicks "block block block" without looking at the cookie, and routinely locks himself out of his webmail (or me out of mine), etc., so then instead of hunting down the offending blocked cookie, he just PURGES THE WHOLE LIST, so I have to start over with dozens of constant pop-ups.

You might take a look at CookieSwap.
Report Spam   Logged

Randall
RetroRoleplaying -- Yes, There Were Tabletop Roleplaying Games Before D20
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
dragonsoup
Religion: Pagan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 01:59:19 pm »

So this is a completely random topic, but does anyone have a computing habit (or program/plugin) they can't live without, but that everyone else seems to think is more annoying than a ten-hour loop of the Hamster Dance?  I need a few more Tongue

Another one who has to use a mouse rather than a touch pad. I didn't mind the little toggle on the old Thinkpads  (Do they still make them?) but I've never mastered the touch pad and don't intend to waste any more time trying to either!
Report Spam   Logged
thain
Apprentice
Religion: Eclectic Paganism/Buddhism

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 02:21:48 pm »

Another one who has to use a mouse rather than a touch pad. I didn't mind the little toggle on the old Thinkpads.

Thinkpads actually do still use the little eraser-head pointer, and I think they're one of the only companies who still do...I always liked the eraser-head infinitely more than the touchpad, too, and I miss it on my latest computer.
Report Spam   Logged
Fiamma
Religion: Hellenic Polytheist/ADF

View Profile
Combination Level 3 Level 2
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 09:25:46 pm »

I run my work computer's audio through a third-party USB device (a Polycom Communicator).

I work in tech support, and the program that sends the calls to the computer, displays the queue, etc makes this annoying sound every time a call drops into queue, and another annoying sound every ten seconds or so for as long as one or more calls are waiting in the queue. There is no way to disable this sound and it's irritating as all get-out. I have to mute my computer altogether to not hear it....and I don't want to do that because I have music playing constantly on my computer

I have, however, discovered that if I run my audio through the communicator, turn the volume on iTunes and on the computer all the way up, and the main computer volume way down, I can listen to music at a reasonable volume, and barely hear the program noises.

I've renamed my "my computer" icon to "Binkley's Anxiety Closet" (waits to see if anyone catches the reference).

I set my scrolling marquee screen saver to say "Your Ad Here".

I always set my clock to display 24-hour time (this applies to any clock in my control with 24-hour option)

I used to do tech support for Apple. So I had, of course, an Apple computer for my work machine (want one for my personal computer at home...don't have the money...sigh...some day...) Hot corners and keys set to display all windows, turn on screen saver, clear desktop and access dashboard (was really funny when someone else would try to do something on my computer because my hot corners and keys weren't the default...). I would change my dock settings around on occasion based on my use and how the current arrangement was working out for me. My screen saver was a rotating bunch of Banana Jr. 6000 cartoons (again, waiting to see if anyone gets the reference)...I love all the little settings and thigns that you could mess with on Apple computers. Scroll-arrow placement, highlight color, all the little features of Safari...

Oh yeah...and there was stickies. I had about fifty sets of premade case notes for different problems each on their own sticky, coded by color (printer issues blue, internet issues pink, hardware issues yellow etc)

One computer habit that I *really* wish carried over to non-digital things...the ability to do a ctrl-f or command-f text search. Oh, my life would be so happy if hard copy had a search feature...lol
Report Spam   Logged
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Journeyman
Religion: Hellenic Pagan

View Profile
Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 06:44:38 am »

I've renamed my "my computer" icon to "Binkley's Anxiety Closet" (waits to see if anyone catches the reference).

Bloom County.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Randall
RetroRoleplaying -- Yes, There Were Tabletop Roleplaying Games Before D20
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Top | Home | Message Board | Site Info & Rules | Report Site Problems
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum